Disorderly Conduct

A disorderly conduct charge under the New Jersey criminal code is a serious offense. If convicted of this disorderly person offense, you are facing up to six (6) months in prison and this “2C” criminal offense will result in a permanent criminal record (unless expunged). Therefore, if you or a loved one has been charged with Disorderly Conduct in Monmouth County or any other county in NJ, contact the Disorderly Conduct Lawyers at the Moriarty Law Firm for immediate assistance.

Disorderly Conduct: N.J.S.A. 2C:33-2

N.J.S.A. 2C:33-2 is the New Jersey statute which enumerates a Disorderly Conduct charge and reads in pertinent part:

§ 2C:33-2. Disorderly conduct

a. Improper behavior. A person is guilty of a petty disorderly person offense if with a purpose to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof he

(1) Engages in fighting or threatening, or in violent or tumultuous behavior; or

(2) Creates a hazardous or physically dangerous condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose of the actor.

b. Offensive language. A person is guilty of a petty disorderly persons offense if, in a public place, and with purpose to offend the sensibilities of a hearer or in reckless disregard of the probability of so doing, he addresses unreasonably loud and offensively coarse or abusive language, given the circumstances of the person present and the setting of the utterance, to any person present.

“Public” means affecting or likely to affect persons in a place to which the public or a substantial group has access; among the places included are highways, transport facilities, schools, prisons, apartment houses, places of business or amusement, or any neighborhood.

Disorderly Conduct Charge as a Disorderly Persons Offense vs. Disorderly Conduct as a Municipal Ordinance

A charge for Disorderly Conduct can include either improper behavior or offensive language. With the right attorney, you may be able to have this “2C” criminal offense downgraded through a plea bargain with the prosecutor. A Disorderly Conduct charge, which is an offense under the New Jersey Criminal Code and results in a permanent criminal record, may be downgraded to a Disorderly Conduct Municipal Ordinance which results in only a fine, not creating a criminal record for you. This is one of the most important reasons to have a qualified attorney assist you with this municipal court charge. Call the Moriarty Law Firm at (732) 842-7773 to see how we can help you.

We Handle All Types Criminal Charges

Charges can be brought in either Municipal or Superior court. The more severe the criminal charges the more likely they are to be handled in Superior Court, while minor charges are typically resolved in Municipal Court. We have a well-deserved reputation for being the best in both arenas.

The severity of your charges is a determination made by the State and is usually based on the weight of the drugs and a variety of other factors. Penalties will vary based on the degree and nature of the crime.

Whether Serious or Minor, Your Charges Need Our Defense:

Defendants facing indictable charges can be looking at lengthy prison sentences. In the Municipal Court, the maximum penalties can still result in hefty fines or up to six months in prison. We can help with all types of charges.

Contact The Moriarty Law Firm – West Long Branch New Jersey Office:

Call direct at (732) 842-7773 or contact us to schedule a Consultation with The Moriarty Law Firm today.

Client Reviews

The attorneys of The Moriarty Law Firm are the best criminal defense lawyers in New Jersey. I can see how the over 50 years of combined experience between this family led law firm has initiated the consideration by many, as being one of the top law firms in the US. From the moment I called for a...

Jeremy Thomas

Kevin is professional, knowledgeable, compassionate and he gets the job done. Being a legal sceptic (I used to think they were all crooks) Kevin restored my faith in attorneys. If you have a serious matter, you want Kevin to represent you.


I hired Mr. Moriarty for a delicate professional matter and was very happy with the entire experience. Both he and his support staff were easy to deal with and ultimately, we won!


Contact Us

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 Available 24/7
  3. 3 All Criminal and Injury Cases
Fill out the contact form or call us at (732) 842-7773 to schedule your free consultation.